Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer brakes - Everett area repair?

Default Trailer brakes - Everett area repair?

We have a 05 Caravan dual axle trailer that needs some brake work. When I brought the boat up to Dagmars in the spring, the brakes felt really underpowered, and I found thick rust in the fluid reservoir. I'm betting I need a new actuator, possibly lines and I would like to have the drums and the bearings ran through.

We had a travel trailer for a number of years, and frankly I miss the electric brake system over this one's surge setup. I've read quite a bit about electric over hydraulic and have considered converting our system in this way. I would likely want to stick with our drum brakes/washout setup, instead of discs, as I've heard bad things about some disc setups and salt water.

I stopped by Signal Trailers (near Dags) yesterday after work and they don't do electric over hydraulic systems. He quoted repairing my current system as-is at $1800 "to do it right". Does that seem in the ballpark?

Can anybody recommend a good local shop to do trailer brake repair/upgrades?
    Jim and Angie
    "Luna Sea"

1997 Bayliner 2859

I would stay with surge for a boat trailer.
    "Jaruba"
    1980 2350

boatguy@iboatnw.com

I'd stay with surge also and replace the trailer with electric one in the future. Disc are fine and my preference over drums. Our next trailer will also be triple axle but aluminum frame, bunk, disc, electric and stainless lines with silicone fluid vice DOT.
    Doug;}
    "Go Aweigh To" 2001 2452
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos

MMSI: 338068776

Surge or electric over hydraulic for boat trailer (I think BC has forced Electric/Hydraulic over a certain weight). Dipping any electrical items into salt water just has bad idea written all over it.
    1989 3888

You might try Les Schwabs. Back in the days when I was towing a 33 foot SR I had a problem with my trailer brakes. Try getting a boat trailer worked on in Yakima. Can't remember exactly what the issue was but Les Schwabs took care of it reasonably and promptly.
    Dan
    Tiara S/4300
    CARUS
    Everett, Wa
    MMSI 338085742

Ditto Les Schwab. When I purchased my boat, I rebuilt the brakes and put on a new master cylinder, but had LS put in all new brake lines and bleed the system. Reasonable price and good quality service. East Wenatchee store.
    Randy

"Del-Sea", 1997, 2859 Bayliner

I've found the shops replace the complete backing plates including brake pads and brake cylinders when they do brake jobs. In some cases, they replace the drums as opposed to having the existing ones turned. If you know how to do the bearings yourself, it's not much more work to replace the backing plates yourself.

huale768 Guest

I've found the shops replace the complete backing plates including brake pads and brake cylinders when they do brake jobs. In some cases, they replace the drums as opposed to having the existing ones turned. If you know how to do the bearings yourself, it's not much more work to replace the backing plates yourself. You might try Les Schwabs. Back in the days when I was towing a 33 foot SR I had a problem with my trailer brakes. Try getting a boat trailer worked on in Yakima. Can't remember exactly what the issue was but Les Schwabs took care of it reasonably and promptly.

I know the Les Schwab in Monroe won't touch them, I had to take my 05 Caravan to Kooy's also in monroe and I think it was about 1800 when I was all done. http://www.kooysinc.com/

Yeah, I've read on a couple of different places on the net that Les Schwab will sell boat trailer brake parts, but won't service them. Thanks for the tip on the Monroe LS - I work up there and was going to drop by. I'll try the Lake Stevens location and see what they say. Also appreciate the Kooy's link.

After reading a bit more about the Kodiak cadmium and stainless disc setups, I'm temped to just order a kit complete with lines and an actuator and do it myself. I own a MityVac and have bled brakes before, I've just never done a complete setup on a boat trailer.
    Jim and Angie
    "Luna Sea"

1997 Bayliner 2859